Sunday, November 22, 2009

Winter blues / SAD

Hello!

So after enjoying this beautiful morning, warm and bright outside, I get a call from my mom who happens to live on the west coast. One of her favorite topics to bring up is the weather. Whether its for sake of conversation, or whether she likes to rub it in, without fail she reminds me that she is in a state where over Thanksgiving, she will be enjoying an 80 degree holiday. Ugh! Thanks mom. Although I can't complain about the weather we have been getting, I would prefer 80 degree days.

I grew up on the west coast. I remember when I would watch movies or shows where snow fell, I seriously thought it was fake. I never grew up with it, I never really thought that winters were six months long and I really thought that SAD (seasonal affective disorder) was fake. (Sorry!) My reality was palm trees, beaches and shorts during the holidays. But after 3 years of living here in Minnesota, I realized that every winter I would feel out of sorts. I would go home for the holidays, feel fantastic and energized, and then I'd make it back to Minnesota for the coldest months that winter could bring. With that came my own experiences with SAD. My reality had changed and the novelty winters wore off. I hated being cold and would never partake in winter activities and in fact avoided going outside as much as possible. To me, -20 degree days were unnatural! Well, being cooped up all day, it was only predictable what would happened next. Winter blues.

Winter blues or SAD, can deeply impact the quality of life for people that may experience it. No one likes to feel out of sorts and may not even notice it until they are already down. Its important for people to recognize what might be going on so that effectively reducing symptoms is possible. When I understood what was going on, I became a lot more proactive about not getting in that slump.

If you or someone you know is experiencing winter blues, here are a few things to try or suggest: get as much sunshine as you can! I know we've all heard that vitamin D can help, but its true. Soak up as much light as you can. Open your curtains and sit by the window for a few minutes and soak up the sun. Better yet, get out! I know its freezing and the last thing that might sound fun is to get out of the house, but try and get out for at least a little while. A great tip that I've read and tried is to read a book or watch a movie where the story takes place in sunny warm environment. I really do think that this works. Lastly exercise! Even if its gentle and you have to do it at home, exercise. Exercising will get your blood and qi moving. Stagnant qi can either be a result of, or contribute to depression. Exercising will invigorate you thus lifting your mood. Plus – do you ever regret the way you feel after you work out?

Sometimes being motivated to do these things is easier said than done, especially when you're not feeling your best, and sometimes doing these things just isn't enough. Acupuncture and herbs can help in so many ways. It will balance your body as a whole, so you actually feel good emotionally and physically. Chinese medicine moves qi and blood which helps increase energy, regulate emotions, as well as lift the mood. Plus it has no side effects which everyone can feel better about.

I've lived in Minnesota for almost nine years and have understood a long time ago what was to come with every winter. I'm so happy that I was able to recognize what was going on but its still hard to adjust every year. Personally, I have had great success with Chinese medicine. When winter rolls around I have my routine treatments. This keeps me healthy and happy and feeling great. Now when the topic of weather comes up, I can take it easier and appreciate that what I have to look forward to after winter is beautiful and warm. That makes me happy!


Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment